Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Guest Post: 5 Ways to Beef Up Your Dessert Table by Bottle Pop Party Co.



Well hello there Miss Party Mom readers! I'm Shannon, event planner & stylist from Bottle Pop Party Co. I love putting together insanely cute dessert tables but c'mon, the elements that make up the magazine-worthy dessert tables cost a pretty penny. I have nothing but the utmost respect for creators of detailed cake pops, sugar cookies & macarons because they've got a talent that I am in awe of. They deserve every cent they make. 

But as a mom, I sometimes have to choose to splurge on one thing and scrimp on the other. And I know I'm not the only one. I also plan a lot of tables for clients but I know they don't want to spend a fortune if they don't need to. I'm looking out for them! And since I like a nice, full (bountiful even!) dessert table, I always suggest we beef up the table with some simple, inexpensive options that anyone can do. And even though none of these are unique or new in any way, having a go-to list can be extremely helpful. Says me. 

1) The Doughnut Pop: Cousin to the cake pop but far less work and gooey hands. I take store-bought doughnut holes, insert a candy stick and dip them in melting chocolate. My favorite method is to melt the Wilton bags of chocolate in a bowl, double-boiler style on the stovetop. Stir until smooth. It probably won't get as smooth as you want, so add some vegetable oil and keep stirring. This makes it a lot thinner and smoother. Once you get the consistency you like, dip the doughnut hole and use a spoon to cover up around the stick. Tap gently on the side of the bowl to get rid of the excess then place on top of a piece of wax paper, then stick in the fridge to set. High end? No. Kids freak out over them? Uh yeah.


2) The Chocolate Covered Pretzel: No matter the shape or form of the pretzel, everyone loves a pretzel dipped in chocolate. EVERYONE. Using the same method as I described above, dip the pretzel in chocolate or colored candy melt and refrigerate to harden. You can even go back and make things fancy with another color drizzled on top.


3) The Store-Bought Cookie: As you peruse your grocery store or local Target, keep your eyes peeled for anything in your color scheme. The little purple cookies below fit my color scheme perfectly. So what if they weren't picture-perfect? Does anyone care if the tops are smushed and the sprinkles are falling off? Nope. They're too mesmerized by my tiny vintage marching band. 


You might even get lucky and find a cookie that fits your theme! I scored fruity Yogurt Stars at Trader Joe's and used them for my Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Party. 3 bucks a bag? You got it, Joe!


4) The Rice Krispie Treat: I'll be honest and say that every time I make these, I have to google the recipe. I know, it has 3 ingredients and two of them are rice krispies and marshmallows but whatev, I confuse easily. Anyway, these super versatile treats can be cut into any shape with a cookie cutter. You can keep them plain, pop them on a stick or dip/drizzle them with chocolate.


5) The Hybrid: store bought dessert + custom candy. To make something a little different, I took these store-bought brownie bites and topped them with custom chocolate animals I had made for a safari party. 


So tell me, do you have any quick and easy faves to add to the list? 

I'd love it if you came and hung out at my blog or you can find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  


6 comments:

  1. I love all of these tips, especially the donut hole option. The one I would add that I often use is Oreos, actually, Trader Joe's vanilla bean Joe-Joe's to be exact. I've done them piled high on a cake stand and covered them in chocolate. So many ways to make them work on a table and they are always a hit with the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome awesome. I'm partial to the idea of a rice krispie treat drizzled in chocolate. I want one. Right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally mesmerized by the tiny marching bag. And I love the doughnut pops! Genius, you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always buy two boxes of brownie mix and make some super cheap brownies. Then I cut them into squares and put some kind of cool sprinkles on top. Cheap and easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you stay so thin when you serve all this scrumptious desserts? It all looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Present you a delicious dishes of american style kobe beef & japanese kobe beef with new dishes at test follow us :-If you take wide interest in american wagyu beef then make sure it is delivered to your home with some of the best online meat service providers. With modern day time you can now american kobe beef online without bothering about the freshness and quality of the food. There are some best and wide categories of items coming up which will fulfill the desire of eating something healthy.

    ReplyDelete

" "